Friday, July 21, 2006

Patriotism


I know I can't be the only American who's noticed that the self described patriots in this country (that would be the U.S.) are not. I mean, a true patriot would stand for the values of the country, freedom, democracy, fairness. I don't see those values espoused by these "Patriots". They seem to be for the values of might makes right and brand loyalty.
Brand Loyalty. So, you're probably asking yourselves "What the hell does that mean?!" What I mean is that these people are more interested in defending the symbol, or brand of this country (the flag) than the values that it supposedly stands for. Hey let's worry about hippies burning the flag! Isn't that much more important than worrying if our elected officials (and I use the term "elected" extremely loosely) are subverting our constitutionally guaranteed rights?!
Maybe I'm not paying enough attention here but when was the last time you saw anyone burn the flag? No, no, take your time. think about that. The only time I remember seeing anyone do it was the late '60's. Granted there may be instances here and there since, and I haven't noticed, but if the only time it's making news is when some redneck in a business suit needs to court the asswipe vote then it's a non issue.
Some of you may ask: "Gee, evilDoug, is there any way to learn about the values of this country in an easy to digest format, like Fox News?" The short answer is OH HELL NO! If you want to learn about the values of this country (because you were too busy getting toasted in school) you need to read The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States of America. I know, how horrible. They have big words and no pictures. You poor baby, it's ok, rest that overstressed brain, let Wal-Mart tell you what the US is all about. You can trust 'em.
I'm taking the term patriot back! From now on it belongs to those who actually believe in the values that are written of in the constitution and the Declaration of Independence. I've made up my mind and the foot has come down. Knee jerk redneck dick schnitzels need not apply. That's right, if your only allegiance is to the flag, you are not a patriot. You are a Coke and Sony brand loyalist. In order to be a patriot you have to be able to think and clearly understand the values of this country.
Just so we're clear: "I AM A PATRIOT!" and you're not, redneck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home